Johannesburg Urban Adventures
Day tours, with a local
Looking for things to do in Johannesburg, look no further! Johannesburg Urban Adventures explores the colourful capital of South Africa, allowing travellers to experience the authentic side of the city on a list of intimate Johannesburg tours. Johannesburg is a stimulating city with a turbulent history and diverse culture awaiting to be discovered by intrepid travellers wishing to get the most out of their visit. On our guided tours of Johannesburg, travellers can cycle through the city or explore on foot, meeting the locals and see where people live and work throughout the city on a Johannesburg day tours.
Together with our sister destination, Cape Town, we look forward to showing you around our home towns here in South Africa.
Unknown to most travellers, Johannesburg, also called Jo’burg or Jozi more affectionately by the locals, boasts the only street in the world to house two Nobel Peace Prize winners in Soweto: Nelson Mandela and Archbishop Desmond Tutu. Taking a tour of Soweto is a great way to see how the real people of Jo'burg live.
from 2 reviews
From ZAR 1,155.00
Cycle straight into the soul of South Africa on this Johannesburg tour through the streets of iconic Soweto. See where Mandela once called home, cycle past Desmond Tutu's current digs, and hit a local shebeen bar for a cool drink and a game of pool.
Jozi by Foot From ZAR 743.00
The best of Jozi can be tricky to find on your own. Enlist the help of a local guide on this Johannesburg tour that side steps the usual spots and embraces things like art, architecture, culture, history, and a traditional healers market.more...
more... more stories...
10 Aug 2014 This trip gave me a new perspective and appreciation for all that Johannesburg has to offer, and I really enjoyed exploring Soweto on a pushbike.
21 Feb 2013 I loved. And I'm a terrible cyclist and the guides waited me and were very pacient. They showed us everything and talked about the most important events. Amazing experience.
13 Apr 2011 Excellent mix of cultural and educational experience with very informative and sensitive guide.
The Johannesburg Urban Adventures Teamwas established through a desire to share our passion for Africa with like-minded adventurers. With a passion for their destination, the team is committed to offering uniqueJohannesburg tours and experiences to travellers.
Together with our sister destination in Cape Town we like to consider ourselves the local experts in our hometowns.
Feels like: 18°C
Passing clouds. Mild.
Sign up now and get $10 off your next tour!
At Urban Adventures, we firmly believe local travel is one of the best ways we can support responsible tourism. In fact, we believe it so strongly that we’ve made it our entire business! All our tours are run by local experts, not some faceless corporate team located halfway around the world with no sense of the local vibe.
We craft our tours to ensure every traveller has authentic interactions with local people, businesses, transportation, and food and drink. Local travel gives you the opportunity to experience a destination as locals do, and has the potential to impact you in ways you never imagined. In short: local is awesome.
As a responsible travel company, we promise to:
- Use locally owned infrastructure on our tours whenever possible.
- Spread the financial benefits amongst local people and operators.
- Provide employment and leadership opportunities for local people.
- Respect local customs and culture.
- Provide safe tours for Urban Adventure partners, staff, and travellers.
- Educate travellers and our partners about how and why we choose to travel this way.
- Limit any negative impact to the daily lifestyles of local people.
- Limit any physical impact on natural and cultural environments.
- Provide support to organisations and local communities.
- Provide opportunities for travellers to interact with local people.
- Actively ban partners, staff, and passenger participation in or endorsement of commercial sexual activities or illegal drug use on Urban Adventures tours.
- Work to prevent the exploitation of children in tourism.
- Actively discourage participation in activities that exploit animals.
- Use local partners that adhere to Urban Adventures' responsible travel principles.
- Support and encourage fair employment practices.
- Give our travellers the best possible value.
- Have fun!
As a traveller, we ask that you keep the following in mind:
- People: Be mindful of the local citizens, and seek understanding through shared experiences. Consider their customs and values while in their homeland, and when in doubt, ask your guide for advice.
- Environment: Be mindful of the local environment, and act with conservation and sustainability in mind. Follow local guidelines, as recommended by your guide, and make proactive decisions on your own.
- Culture: When travelling to other cultures, remember that not everyone's customs are the same as yours at home. Be respectful, and be mindful of openly questioning a customary practice, even if you disagree with it. Try to understand from their perspective. You may learn something! Your guide will be an excellent point of reference here, so check with them if you're unsure.
- Economy: Make every effort to use local businesses and put your tourism dollars in the right (local) pocket. We use local vendors and businesses, and your guide will be able to advise you on the best ways to support the local economy.